Thursday, January 19, 2006

Weekly report

Tiger notes...
-Brad Smith will play in the Hula Bowl this Saturday at 6 p.m. central. Look for him wearing his usual No. 16, but lining up some of the time at wide receiver...

-There's no place like home for the MU basketball teams. The Tiger women are 10-0 at Mizzou Arena and the men are 9-2 with the two losses coming on 3s at the buzzer...

-Has a player ever gone from the doghouse to the starting lineup as quickly as Glen Dandridge? In November, his transfer seemed imminent, if you believe the rumors. This week, he was in the starting line-up against kU. Amazing...

-With Monday's win, the Tigers pulled to within three points of kU in the Border War standings. The total is now 8.5 to 5.5...

-The Mizzou gymnastics team is now ranked No. 11 in the country...

-The most underappreciated Tiger on the men's basketball team this year is Kevin Young. He is averaged 8.5 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, but that doesn't tell the story. I used to laugh when people said he was a handful underneath, but its true. Sasha Kaun and Julian Wright couldn't handle him. Kevin Bookout and Taj Gray couldn't handle him. And oh, those free throws he was always so bad at? He's shooting 73 percent, good enough for second on the team...

-From the ridiculous world of state politics: House bill 1402, which "Requires every university in this state participating in an NCAA Division I sport to schedule one contest a year with every other university in this state in the same sport at the same level." Give me a break. Guess which city that congressman is from?

Quick-hit Non-Mizzou Thoughts...
How is Jason Marquis getting paid more than Chris Carpenter?... And how is Matt Millen getting paid at all?... I think if I were a large athlete and someone was threatening my wife, I'd run into the stands too... For no apparent reason, I'm predicting a Broncos/Panthers Super Bowl... The difference between Kobe and LeBron isn't killer instinct, it's that Mamba is a better shooter... On that note, who does Sasha Pavlovic think he is?... Now that Shaq and Kobe have worked things out, I think it's time for Hillary Duff and Lindsay Lohan to bury the hatchet... Certainly Duke is Duke... Is the hockey season even still going on? Anyone? Anyone?... From the department of "Sure, that's what I would have done": The player failed to make a football move and the ball was knocked loose while his second knee was still on the ground, therefore meaning... WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!... Thanks, Pete... If Osama bin Laden is the voice on that new tape, I'm Bob Sagat. Seriously, the guy HAS to be dead by now. Men with kidney problems just don't survive in caves... Has anyone heard of these new NFL coaches? Seriously, I think I might get an interview for the Raiders job at this point... I don't know about you, but I am waiting with bated breath for the NASA probe to reach Pluto 9 years from now. I can't wait...

No comments: